4-5 cups spring water
1-2 inch strip of wakame, rinsed and soaked 5 minutes in 1 cup of water, until softened
1-2 cups thinly sliced vegetables of your choice
2-3 tsp barley miso
2 scallions, finely chopped
- Chop soaked wakame, and discard soaking water or use on houseplants for a boost of minerals.
- Place water and wakame in a soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Add root and ground vegetables first and simmer gently for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add leafy vegetables and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of liquid from pot and dissolve miso into it. Return it to the pot.
- Turn off heat, allow soup to continue cooking 2-3 minutes- do not boil or simmer miso broth.
- Garnish with scallions and serve.
Note: Any combination of vegetables can be used in miso soup.
- Add cooked grains at the start of making the soup. They will be soft.
- Add a TBS of uncooked quinoa or millet at the beginning and let it cook with vegetables for 20 minutes.
- Add cubed tofu toward the end.
- Use dry shiitake mushrooms, let them soak for 20 minutes, slice and add at the beginning.