2.5 cups walnuts
1.5 cups dates -firm not gooey
3 tart apples
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp ground clove
2 TBS maple syrup
1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup raisins
- Combine walnuts and dates in food processor. Process until well mixed and ground, but not smooth. About 40 seconds. It should be a coarse texture when done. Press evenly into a 9 inch tart pan. Set in refrigerator while making the filling.
- Core and slice apples in 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place apples in a large skillet with rest of the ingredients and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently on medium heat.
- Remove apples with a slotted spoon from hot pan to a bowl and cool completely.
- Reduce liquid to about half the volume.
- Spread apples evenly over crust. Brush syrup over apples. Can be served right away or will keep in refrigerator until needed.
Adapted from World's Healthiest Foods